What is Diphenhydramine hydrochloride/Menthol and what is used for:
- Diphenhydramine HydrochlorideMenthol is a medicine that is used for cough relief and is also a decongestant.
- Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride works by inhibiting the histamine-1 receptor sites, therefore temporarily causing pain relief and decreasing cough.
- Ammonium Chloride also acts as a decongestant and helps in reducing the viscosity of mucus.
- Menthol has a local analgesic effect which helps reduce the cough.
- This medicine is therefore used for the relief of cough and congestion during cold or allergies.
Do not take Diphenhydramine hydrochloride/ Menthol:
- If you are allergic toDiphenhydramine hydrochloride / Menthol, or any of the ingredients inthis medicine.
- Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you have taken a MAO inhibitor within the last 2 weeks.
Warnings and precautions:
- Stop the medication right away and talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you develop allergic reactions such as shortness of breath, skin rash, swelling of the face or neck, decreased blood pressure and dizziness.
- Talk to your doctor before starting this medicine if you have any of the following health problems; asthma or other chronic respiratory problems, glaucoma (increased eye pressure), benign prostatic hyperplasia, difficulty urinating or liver problems.
- Concomitant intake of alcohol with this medicine may increase side effects like drowsiness and dizziness, therefore, make sure that you avoid drinking alcohol with this medicine.
Possible side effects:
- Possible side effects include drowsiness, sedation, dizziness, headache, dry mouth and difficulty urinating.
Other medicines and Diphenhydramine hydrochloride / Menthol ;
- Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other medications including prescription medicines, over the counter medicines, herbals, vitamins and supplements.
- If you are taking or have recently taken MAO inhibitors within the last 2 weeks.
- If you are taking antiepileptics (e.g.Carbamazepine) used to treat convulsions.
- If you are taking tcas (type of medicines mainly used to treat depression).
- If you are taking anxiolytics or sedatives (e.g.Benzodiazepines).
- Talk to your healthcare provider if you are not sure if the medicine you are taking is listed above.
- Keep a list of the medicines that you take and take it with you during your visits to your healthcare provider.
- Make sure that you do not start new medicines without talking to your healthcare provider first.
How to take Diphenhydramine hydrochloride/ Ammonium Chloride/ Menthol:
- Take 5 – 10 ml 4 times daily.
Children 1-6 years:
- Recommended dose is 2.5 ml 4 times daily.
Children 6-12 years:
- Recommended dose is 5 ml 4 times daily.
- Take your medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
- This medicine is intended for oral use only.
How to store Diphenhydramine hydrochloride / Menthol:
- Keep out of the reach of children and pets
- Store Diphenhydramine hydrochloride/ Ammonium Chloride/ Menthol at or below 25°
- Do not use beyond the expiry date mentioned on the box
- Keep medication in its original container (tightly closed) to protect it from moisture and light
- Do not dispose medication in the wastewater or household waste